Re: Frecobaldi 2 Mac OS X install guide

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Re: Frecobaldi 2 Mac OS X install guide
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2013 10:49:32 +1000

Greetings,

On 6/06/13 10:13 AM, Tim McNamara wrote:
Installing Frescobaldi remains one of the singularly frustrating interludes of
my computing life.  I cannot figure out how anyone gets a damned thing done
using Linux/BSD with all the asinine dependency issues, even with package
managers.  Installing any piece of software is a voyage of the damned rather
than a simple download and double-click to launch.
Well, I can sympathise with your frustration, but that's not exactly accurate. Proper Linux distros such as Debian have very sophisticated package management via apt that handle all required dependencies and are at a high stage of maturity. The issue here is that although Mac's are great - I am typing on my dear macbookpro 17 inch, and although they are built on a derivative of BSD UNIX, they lack the package management capabilities of most Linux systems, as they are not conceived of by Apple as full UNIX systems for end users. I have not had any success getting frescobaldi to install using the mac built-in version of python and so on. It appears the only way to make this all work is to use the macports system, as mentioned earlier in this thread. Apart from providing the right versions of the software you require, it does indeed have a dependency system for pretty much all of the items.
Despite installing Python, QT4, a bunch of dependencies that don't even make
sense, and every other doggone item on the list of things to install and
configure, Frescobaldi still cannot connect to Poppler so that I can
conveniently see the rendered PDF file.  The crux of the matter finally seems
to be the unholy alliance that is SIP:

[tim ~/Desktop/Downloads/python-poppler-qt4-0.16.3]$ python setup.py build
running build
running build_ext
building 'popplerqt4' extension
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/bin/sip -I
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/share/sip -t POPPLER_V0_20_0
-c build/temp.macosx-10.6-intel-2.7 -b
build/temp.macosx-10.6-intel-2.7/poppler-qt4.sbf -I
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/share/sip/PyQt4 -x VendorID
-t WS_MACX -x PyQt_NoPrintRangeBug -t Qt_4_8_0 -x Py_v3 -g poppler-qt4.sip
sip: Deprecation warning: poppler-qt4.sip:1: %Module version number should be
specified using the 'version' argument
sip: Unable to find file "QtCore/QtCoremod.sip"
error: command '/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/bin/sip'
failed with exit status 1

I mentioned earlier in this thread that my experience was that the instructions are missing the installation of sip. I had to use macports to install sip. I believe this needs to be added to the set of steps. After installing py27-sip, you will be able to proceed I reckon.

HTH

Andrew