Re: Discuss signature for new function \annotate (new version)

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Discuss signature for new function \annotate (new version)
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 18:24:32 +0200

Hi Richard,

thanks for the feedback. I'd be happy to design the stuff in a way that it can be used by Denemo and Frescobaldi as well.

Am 10.06.2013 17:53, schrieb Richard Shann:
This looks great Urs. I wrote a CriticalComment command for Denemo that
allows you to attach comments to notes in a score. These comments can
include \score {} blocks so that the music being commented on can be
engraved within the sentence.
Well, _that's_ what I meant by 'further use cases'. I didn't think of that even though I had missed that possibility in an earlier project :-(
The Critical Comments are collected up and
referenced at the end of the music.
I will certainly have a look into what you already did. It probably is a good idea to have parts of the logic in a) the input editor and b) (optionally) some post-processing. (I want to have a Python script that processes my list of annotations to various formats: maybe html pages, text/markdown, LaTeX. That way compiling the score will result in (say) a html page or pdf document with a todo list and musical questions, all linked to the input file through textedit links.)
It will be nice to have more of this
work done by your /annotate command: especially troublesome is devising
a way of unambiguously creating the reference to the point in the score
in question (Denemo is making do with Movement, Staff and bar number) -
What exactly do you mean by 'reference'? What I thought of was basically letting the author enter an arbitrary string (that makes sense in the context of his document). But you're probably right: If I have more than one score in the file it won't be enough to just determine the bar number.
What exactly would you suggest would be nice to reference from/to?
the ability to mention the page number
I don't for sure but I'm afraid this will be quite difficult. IISC when LilyPond interprets \annotate it doesn't have any idea about layout yet. I didn't think of that since in critical reports you usually don't have page numbers (only bar numbers) but it would surely be a good idea to have.
and the whereabouts within the
bar would be very nice.
Yes, I hope that will be possible.
Any hints how to retrieve the position within a measure at the moment a Scheme function is called?

Best
Urs

Richard