Re: Discuss signature for new function \annotate (new version)

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Discuss signature for new function \annotate (new version)
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 13:16:08 -0400

Hi Urs,

> How would LilyPond represent barnumbers in polymetrical situations?

Not sureā€¦ I'm not even sure how it's done in hand engraving!
I'll look it up (in Gould, etc.) and get back to you.

I'm working on a commission right now where the piano is in a fairly constant
7/8, the voice is in 4/4 most of the time (with some 3/4 and 7/8 now and then)
and the oboe is in cadenza mode; I'm not yet sure how to "number the bars",
since they line up so rarely. There are section marks ("rehearsal letters"),
but that's it right now.

> And how would one represent them in a report (i.e. how would you refer to a
> specific point in the score)?

That's the big issue, I would assume: You need a way to easily pinpoint a spot
in a score, "independent" of the timing going on around it.
Maybe \tag is the answer?

Or maybe just ignore us weird composers who don't always write music where the
barlines are synchronized in all parts. =)

Cheers,
Kieren.