Re: Indexed PDF portfolio of 2.17.20 docs

From: Nick Payne
Subject: Re: Indexed PDF portfolio of 2.17.20 docs
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2013 17:42:17 +1000

On 11/06/13 17:20, bart deruyter wrote:
Interesting document :-), I'm going to  read it through, certainly the
'extending' part.

It's strange though, running ubuntu here I installed adobe reader as you
suggested, but I only get a black page, nothing more.

Using okular I get a message with an add to adobe reader, and  a message
that says there are several files embedded. I get the option to extract
them as seperate files, which I did. Then I could read everything
perfectly well.

It is weird that here it works better without adobe reader. Adobe Reader
here is reader 9, probably yours is newer which would explain a
different experience.

The portfolio works on Reader 9 or later - seeing only a blank first page on Adobe Reader for Linux is because, since about version 9.3.4 or Reader, Adobe have disabled Flashplayer within Reader, so it doesn't show the initial page which contains thumbnails of the embedded PDFs. Everything else in the portfolio works as it should, though. The point of creating the portfolio is that it contains an index of every word in the embedded PDFs, so you can search across all the embedded PDFs (the portfolio contains the manuals for Extending, Internals, Learning, Notation, Snippets, Usage, and Web). Try loading the PDF portfolio into Reader and entering a search term into the search box at upper right...