Re: Discuss signature for new function \annotate (new version)

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Discuss signature for new function \annotate (new version)
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 00:22:46 +0200

2013/6/11 Urs Liska <address@hidden>:
> Am 11.06.2013 15:11, schrieb Janek Warchoł:
>>
>> 2013/6/11 Urs Liska <address@hidden>:
>>
>> Don't feel dumb - i don't know how to get along with scheme either ;)
>> (yet)
>

> After all, I'm still wondering what benefits Scheme offers.
> I find it extremely reluctant to be understood (that's what it feels: Scheme
> tries to avoid being understood), and I would like to have some benefits
> that outweigh that effort. And so far I can't see them.
>
> [This is a question for the conaisseurs out there]
>
> Urs
>

>> JAnek

Well, I can't compare scheme with other programming-languages.
I'm a musician not a programmer. Trying to dive into LilyPond deeper
(to achieve the functionality for my own scores that fits best my
needs) I decided to learn scheme. Read some manuals, made some
exercises etc.
It's not easy to learn any language, though I didn't expect it would be easy. :)
So far scheme is the one and only I tried to learn.

Best I can say about scheme (David already mentioned it) is that you
can _use_ it:
Write #(define xyz 10) in a *.ly-file and do: #(write xyz)
And it works,

Once I did a first step into C++
The common "hello world"
I had to _compile_ it to make it work.
That makes a great difference for usability in LilyPond.

So far I had no big problems to learn scheme.
(Ok, I remember I was _very_ happy when I programmed my first
successful recursion, my second, my third, ...
Nowadays I don't count them any more :) )
Though, I wasn't hampered by expectations from other languages learned before.
I really don't know, though, might this be a problem?

Cheers,
  Harm