Re: Discuss signature for new function \annotate (new version)

From: Tim Slattery
Subject: Re: Discuss signature for new function \annotate (new version)
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 08:50:08 -0400

Thomas Morley <address@hidden> wrote:

>Once I did a first step into C++
>The common "hello world"
>I had to _compile_ it to make it work.
>That makes a great difference for usability in LilyPond.

I've been programming for over forty years, so I know something about
it. Yes, you had to compile your C++ code to make a standalone
program. If you made a standalone program with Scheme you'd probably
have to do the same. Lilypond includes an interpreter for Scheme. Web
browsers include interpreters for Javascript, so you don't have a
separate compile step there.

So called "scripting languages" like Perl, Ruby, Python, etc have to
be run through their interpreters. That is, you can't just have the
Perl program on your machine, you also have to have the Perl
interpreter. Your compiled C++ program can be run on a computer that
does not have a C++ compiler installed. Both approaches have
advantages and disadvantages.

--
Tim Slattery