Re: picking up/down symbols in flatpicking guitar

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: picking up/down symbols in flatpicking guitar
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 00:48:45 +0200

Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:

> Well, in classical Guitar-scores the strike-direction is _always_
> related to the pitches.

Even for 0-14-14-13-0-0 ?

> ↑ means from bottom-pitch up to top-pitch. Always. I'm not aware of
> any exception.
>
> In notated Flamenco-guitar-music the same.
>
> Only in guitar-music to be played with a pick it's the opposite.
> This inconsistency is disturbing.

To be fair: with a pick you can play a single string in either direction
and pitches are no longer a help for figuring stroke direction.  When
playing classical guitar, you don't play a single string with the back
of a finger.  A tremolo is done by alternating fingers, not by reversing
the stroke direction.

--
David Kastrup