Re: picking up/down symbols in flatpicking guitar

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: picking up/down symbols in flatpicking guitar
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 03:46:32 +0200

2013/6/13 Thomas Morley <address@hidden>
Well, in classical Guitar-scores the strike-direction is _always_
related to the pitches.
↑ means from bottom-pitch up to top-pitch. Always. I'm not aware of
any exception.

IIUC, I see that it makes sense for chord strumming, because _usually_ when you strum down the pitches are increasing so arrow up makes sense.
But when you pick single notes you are free to pluck it as you wish, without caring for the pitch. What matters is the ease of playing or the sound you want to express. Crosspicking is a good example: the same notes played with alternate picking or crosspicking have a different "sound".

In notated Flamenco-guitar-music the same.

Only in guitar-music to be played with a pick it's the opposite.
This inconsistency is disturbing.

Though, not a reason to not approve your snippet. :)