adding a markup ("sim.") to the end of a SustainPedalBracket

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: adding a markup ("sim.") to the end of a SustainPedalBracket
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 09:41:47 -0400

Hello all!

I would like to explicitly indicate piano pedalling (using brackets) in the
first measure of my score, and then put a "sim." (or similar ;) right after the
/\ (i.e., "up+down") marking on the downbeat of the second measure.

I was hoping to do one of the two following things:
1. Best Option = adjust the stencil of the bracket so that \sustainOff would
print the entire grouping  "/\_  sim."
2. Acceptable = adjust the text of the \sustainOff so that it says "sim.", and
space it out a few skips beyond the downbeat.

The docs (e.g.,
http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.17/Documentation/snippets/keyboards#keyboards-changing-the-text-for-sustain-markings)
 seem to indicate that neither is possible (e.g., "the only valid strings are
those found in the list of pedal glyphs").

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Kieren.

p.s. I always use the latest development version.