Inserting a "Preface" into Table of Contents

From: steve
Subject: Inserting a "Preface" into Table of Contents
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 11:37:25 -0400

  Howdy!

              I have a Table of Contents. The TOC is the first file and
has the
first page number. All the rest of the pieces are correctly inserted into
the TOC. I have a Preface that appears before the TOC, has a roman numeral
like page numbering and is inserted as a pdf after compilation. I want the
Preface to
 appear in the TOC with its page number. How can I manually insert the  entry
for  the Preface into the TOC??

          thanx - steve