beams and ties in user defined functions

From: Paul Malcolm
Subject: beams and ties in user defined functions
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 22:34:12 +0930

I have a question on what might be possible in a user defined function
with "music" passed to such a function, especially with respect to
how notes are arranged in the etc  in the output

Suppose I have a little function like this

MyPattern = #(define-music-function (parser location x y) (ly:music? ly:music?)
#{
  $x[ $y~  $y]
#})

And subsequently in my code I call

\MyPattern c8 c16

It seems this wont work as the tie and beaming brackets cause errors.
Perhaps they are not allowed in a function.
Is there any basic way to make this work ?

Perhaps I have misunderstood the ly:music variable
My understanding is that the music variable has pitch and duration information.
Perhaps Lilypond sees the []~ as inferring/corrupting this information ?

Paul