Re: crossStaff with tieWaitForNote

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: crossStaff with tieWaitForNote
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 15:56:03 -0400

Hi Harm

> I tried a simplified example. Though, I can make it work either for
> the Ties _or_ for the Beam.
> Seems that the notes have to be in the _same_ Voice for the Beam.
> But for the Ties with a cross-staff chord in _different_ Voices.
>
> I've no idea how to solve that quandary.

Thanks for trying…  =(

Unfortunately, I have a fair number of these constructs in the commission I'm
currently trying to get out the door.
I'd appreciate thoughts from anyone on how to rewrite this snippet so it gives
me a reasonable approximation to the output I'm looking for.

Cheers,
Kieren.
_________________

\version "2.17.20"

upper_notes = \relative c' {
         s4 e4
}

lower_notes = \relative c {
         \clef bass
         c8~
         \change Staff = "piano_upper"
         % The next line warrants the Tie, but no Beam.
         % Commenting this returns the Beam, but no all Ties
         %\context Voice = "xy"
         e'~
         \change Staff = "piano_lower"
         \crossStaff c,4
}

\score {
  \new PianoStaff <<
    \new Staff = "piano_upper" \new Voice = "xy" { \upper_notes }
    \new Staff = "piano_lower" \lower_notes

  \layout {
    \context {
      \PianoStaff