Re: vertical space..under the staff

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: vertical space..under the staff
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2013 11:55:51 +0200

2013/6/16 Paul Malcolm <address@hidden>:
> Dear David thanks for your link.
> I did try that  but I could not figure out how to turn it on and off,
> that is, it seemed a condition that is for the entire score only.
> I wanted triangles and squares only in certain parts of the score.
> Ive attached the final result which is a segment of a Viola sonata.
> Thanks indeed to those that helped me get that right.
> These symbols are just to alert the player that the beat length changes in
> certain
> bars.
>
> I also used the grid lines function to indicate the groupings.
> That works very well also but I could not see how I could create grid lines
> just for certain sections of the score either. Perhaps that is just not
> possible ?
>
> Paul
>

> On 16/06/13, David Nalesnik <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Paul,
>

> On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 8:51 AM, Paul Malcolm <address@hidden>
> wrote:
>>

>> Harm, perfect thanks very much indeed !
>> This is perfect !
>> I must have made a silly blunder.
>> Now in a quick glance one can see if 5/8 is 2+3
>> or 3+2 etc..
>

> LilyPond has already has the capability to show measure groupings.  See
>
> http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/snippets/rhythms#rhythms-conducting-signs-measure-grouping-signs
>
> --David

Hi Paul,

turning on/off MeasureGrouping or GridLine is possible via overriding
its stencil.
Also, for MeasureGrouping you could use a new Voice.
Don't know if this is possible for GridLine, I didn't test. ;)

Examples below, taken from NR and modified.

HTH,
  Harm

\version "2.16.2"

%% MeasureGrouping

\score {
  \new Voice \relative c'' {
    \override Staff.MeasureGrouping #'stencil = ##f
    \time 9/8
    g8 g d d g g a( bes g) |
    \set Timing.beatStructure = #'(2 2 2 3)
    g8 g d d g g a( bes g) |
    \revert Staff.MeasureGrouping #'stencil
    \time #'(4 5) 9/8
    g8 g d d g g a( bes g) |
    \override Staff.MeasureGrouping #'stencil = ##f
    \time 5/8
    a4. g4 |
  }
  \header {
          piece = "Using \override and \revert of stencil"
  }
  \layout {
    \context {
      \Staff
      \consists "Measure_grouping_engraver"

\score {
 \new Voice
  \relative c'' {
    \new Voice
      \with { \consists "Measure_grouping_engraver" }
      {
              \time 9/8
              g8 g d d g g a( bes g) |
              \set Timing.beatStructure = #'(2 2 2 3)
              g8 g d d g g a( bes g) |
      }
    \time #'(4 5) 9/8
    g8 g d d g g a( bes g) |
    \time 5/8
    a4. g4 |
  }
  \header {
          piece = "Using a new Voice"

%% GridLine

\score {
  \new ChoirStaff <<
    \new Staff {
      \relative c'' {
        \stemUp
        c'4. d8 e8 f g4
    \new Staff {
      \relative c {
        \override Score.GridLine #'stencil = ##f
        % this moves them up one staff space from the default position
        \override Score.GridLine #'extra-offset = #'(0.0 . 1.0)
        \stemDown
        \clef bass
        \once \override Score.GridLine #'thickness = #5.0
        c4
        \once \override Score.GridLine #'thickness = #1.0
        g'4
        \revert Score.GridLine #'stencil
        \once \override Score.GridLine #'thickness = #3.0
        f4
        \once \override Score.GridLine #'thickness = #5.0
        e4

  \layout {
    \context {
      \Staff
      % set up grids
      \consists "Grid_point_engraver"
      % set the grid interval to one quarter note
      gridInterval = #(ly:make-moment 1/4)
    }
    \context {
      \Score
      \consists "Grid_line_span_engraver"
      % this moves them to the right half a staff space
      \override NoteColumn #'X-offset = #-0.5