Re: REQUEST: \whiteout using grob stencil instead of bounding box

From: Mike Solomon
Subject: Re: REQUEST: \whiteout using grob stencil instead of bounding box
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2013 20:39:36 +0300

On 16 juin 2013, at 19:09, Kieren MacMillan <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Is there any [easy] way for the \whiteout command, and/or the #'whiteout
> property, to use a grob's stencil outline instead of its bounding box?
>
> whiteFFMarkup = \markup { \whiteout \pad-markup #0.5 \dynamic ff}
> whiteFF = #(make-dynamic-script whiteFFMarkup)
>
> \paper { ragged-right = ##f }
>
> \score {
>  { s4-\tweak #'extra-offset #'(2 . 4.5) \whiteFF }
> }
>
> I would love to be able to set a #'whiteout.margin (or .border or .thickness
> or whatever) property, and have it simply "outline" the grob. Of course, if
> this were implemented, it would be great to retain the current behaviour
> (i.e., the bounding box whiteout).
>
> Thanks,
> Kieren.
>
> p.s. Mike: If you've got time for some more bounty work, this might be a
> great place to start!  =)

Most of that stencil-integral stuff was written in Scheme and then ported to
C++.  It'd need some updating, but digging that up is a place to start for the
intrepid schemer.  You'd just need to create C++ bindings for the
Open_type_font::get_glyph_outline function.

Unfortunately, time is not on my side these days.  Once I have some, and if no
one gets to it before I do, I'll let you know.

Cheers,
MS