Cut and paste from manual returns errors

From: DW
Subject: Cut and paste from manual returns errors
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2013 04:24:14 -0700 (PDT)

I am trying to typset a choral piece with half bar-lines in different places
in different voices.

The two approaches I have seen is to use polymetric notation or possibly
subverting the /breathe command to get the desired effect.

I have been trying to cut and paste examples from the manual, specifically
this one:

\override BreathingSign.text =\markup { \musicglyph #"scripts.tickmark" }

...but it returns a sytax error at the = and \musicglyph.

I am having similar problems with manual text for "printing different time
signatures":

\layout {
  \context {
    \Score
    \remove "Timing_translator"
    \remove "Default_bar_line_engraver"
    \remove "Bar_number_engraver"
    \override SpacingSpanner.uniform-stretching = ##t
    \override SpacingSpanner.strict-note-spacing = ##t
    proportionalNotationDuration = #(ly:make-moment 1/64)
  }
  \context {
    \Staff
    \consists "Timing_translator"