Re: Cut and paste from manual returns errors

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Cut and paste from manual returns errors
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2013 17:21:49 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "DW" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Sunday, June 23, 2013 4:47 PM

I don't want to harp on this point, but it is significant that when I mention
to people that I use Lilypond their faces curl up and frumple. Usually a
little prodding reveals that they have encountered the manuals.

I have invested a little time in trying to figure them out, and I find them
highly confusing, no matter how you care to go about searching them, and I
usually try multiple tacks (including pdf's and google and native indexing)
before I get to the answer I am looking for.

We all started in the same place, and I have to say I disagree with what you're saying. If you go to http://lilypond.org/manuals.html it describes exactly what each manual covers - the Learning manual is an introduction and the Notation Reference a syntax reference. It seems to me that the operations you're attempting (which essentially is not possible in the major commercial typesetting product) is not part of gentle introduction. So it's the NR. With the second problem you cited ("printing different time signatures") the index takes you straight there. As for the first problem you cite (the tickmark) the reason that's not in the 2.16 manuals is that I only implemented that last summer, so it doesn't exist in 2.16. In a sense it's a penalty of using a product that is frequently updated.

It's okay for me because I find lilypond useful enough to persevere.

But most people will do what I did at first, go to the search box on the
lilypond page, type in "barlines" and proceed to be baffled and confused. I had to find the information under "polymetric notation" which this instance isn't a true example of, and by that time had been spending a frustrating 30
mins doing so with multiple open pages to scroll through.

Nope.  I use the PDF manuals.

So you can understand that once you find some little bit of hope, that the
fact the information is not clearly labelled as belonging to a non-stable
release is going to throw 99% of those who have stuck with it to this point
off the track.

We would welcome suggested practical ways to improve the situation. We would further welcome offers to join the volunteers who develop and maintain Lilypond free, so that you can use it.

--
Phil Holmes