Re: Replacement suggestions for Century Schoolbook?

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Replacement suggestions for Century Schoolbook?
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2013 23:58:06 +0200

Am 23.06.2013 23:14, schrieb Mark Polesky:
Urs,

I missed the big discussion earlier, but has anyone mentioned FreeSerif?
Not that I recall ...

http://www.fontspace.com/gnu-freefont/freeserif
I'm getting some good results with lyrics.  I particularly like that it has all
5
of the common English ligatures 0xFB00 - 0xFB04 (ff fi fl ffi ffl).  Century
Schoolbook only has two (ff and fi).

Some or all of these characters may get mangled in the email delivery, but
here they are:

0xFB00  ff  (ff)
0xFB01  fi  (fi)
0xFB02  fl  (fl)
0xFB03  ffi  (ffi)
0xFB04  ffl  (ffl)

test sentence with ligatures:
office flight raffle, final offer

test sentence, spelled out completely:
office flight raffle, final offer
I just could only look at the samples on the page you linked, but it looks quite good and usable.
I will definitely do some tests.
Thanks for the hint.

TeXGyreSchola has good ligature support, too:

http://www.fontspace.com/gust-e-foundry/texgyreschola
I think I actually tested it then, and its main problem is the same as with LilyPond's Century: it's just too wide.
So no improvement in the sense of my original post.

Urs

But I prefer the look of FreeSerif.

- Mark