Re: Cut and paste from manual returns errors

From: ed shaw
Subject: Re: Cut and paste from manual returns errors
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2013 15:09:49 -0700 (PDT)

I'm new at this and expect to be drawing from this well, so, at the risk of
providing common knowledge, I'll contribute what I know about this subject
and how I plan to go about preparing .pdf pages for current publishing
project.
As a Quark and InDesign user, I have been very happy with the results
obtained with a publishing suite
built around "Scribus,"  which is a open source high end desktop publishing
program similar to MS publisher, "Inkscape," an illustrator program, and
"Gimp," an image manipulation program and photo handler.
Add Foxit .pdf reader ($30)  and you might be able delete Acrobat. Corel
Fusion ($29) manages .pdf
stacks.

To the point (I am winging this, accuracy not assured)
1) Set up a page to the desired size in Scribus
2) Set up origin and destination files. Files won't be too big.
3) Draw image box on page (as opposed to text box)
4) Import .pdf containing content. ( I am producing separate files for each
line of
music and lyrics. Two reasons for this. One, I am new and had trouble laying
out the
sheet as one file, and, two, recognized that in the long run, separate files
would save
me work)
5) Click (what amounts to)  "size image to frame."
5) Do the same thing with all the staffs.
6) Move them around, resize the box. Add text in boxes or columns, put
frames around them,
add pictures, page number, and all that. What you have done is use Lily Pond
to create
the graphic, and your cost is whatever you can donate.
7) Export as .pdf, .png, jpg, or whatever. Dozens of graphic and document
formats
are supported. These guys are good. The format conversions are lightning to
the point of
near seamless. If there is loss, I'm not finding it. If I do, I'll just
increase the page size.

Inkscape has saved my neck on more than one occasion, but I am not versed in
it to wing a
proposal. You can make or import little pictures of notes and additionals,
like a #,  enclose them
in a little transparent box, and drag them around the frame. You can erase,
color, underline,
shade or add effects, really make your work stand out and be recognized. Go
get 'em. All I really
want to do is finish this guitar instruction session.