Re: Replacement suggestions for Century Schoolbook?

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Replacement suggestions for Century Schoolbook?
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 01:58:59 +0200

Am 24.06.2013 00:32, schrieb Nick Payne:
How about considering Gentium Plus once the bold and bold italic faces are available (at the moment Gentium Plus contains only regular and italic faces). It's released under the SIL open font license (http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&id=OFL) and contains virtually all the characters defined in Unicode 5.1 for Latin and Cyrillic. See http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?item_id=Gentium and http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?item_id=Gentium_Technical.

I've been using Gentium Book Basic in my scores for a while and like the look of it. It's essentially Gentium with a more limited character set (only the Basic Latin and Latin-1 Unicode ranges), but it contains regular, bold, italic, and bold italic faces.

Nick

As a reminder: My initial motivation to look for a replacement of the default font was its wide spacing. I'm looking for a free font that can achieve tighter spacing in lyrics while being still heavy enough to complement LilyPond's music font. I am very fond of Adobe's Minion Pro, especially for its combination of medium and semibold weights and semicondensed and condensed widths. So for my personal use I'm quite happy but I'd be even happier when finding a free font with similar characteristics.

Urs