Re: Replacement suggestions for Century Schoolbook?

From: Nick Payne
Subject: Re: Replacement suggestions for Century Schoolbook?
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 12:20:10 +1000

On 24/06/13 09:58, Urs Liska wrote:
Am 24.06.2013 00:32, schrieb Nick Payne:
How about considering Gentium Plus once the bold and bold italic faces
are available (at the moment Gentium Plus contains only regular and
italic faces). It's released under the SIL open font license
(http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&id=OFL) and
contains virtually all the characters defined in Unicode 5.1 for Latin
and Cyrillic. See
http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?item_id=Gentium and
http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?item_id=Gentium_Technical.

I've been using Gentium Book Basic in my scores for a while and like
the look of it. It's essentially Gentium with a more limited character
set (only the Basic Latin and Latin-1 Unicode ranges), but it contains
regular, bold, italic, and bold italic faces.

Nick

As a reminder: My initial motivation to look for a replacement of the
default font was its wide spacing. I'm looking for a free font that can
achieve tighter spacing in lyrics while being still heavy enough to
complement LilyPond's music font.
I am very fond of Adobe's Minion Pro, especially for its combination of
medium and semibold weights and semicondensed and condensed widths. So
for my personal use I'm quite happy but I'd be even happier when finding
a free font with similar characteristics.

Gentium Book Basic is pretty much the same weight as Lilypond's default Century Schoolbook, but considerably tighter. Gentium Plus is tighter again but slightly lighter in weight.

Here's a png of the three fonts as output by Lilypond. The PDF output gives a better view of the differences, but as it has all three fonts embedded, it's too large to attach here.