Re: Cut and paste from manual returns errors

From: Noeck
Subject: Re: Cut and paste from manual returns errors
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 10:36:56 +0200

Am 23.06.2013 21:28, schrieb DW:
> Thanks, I will take you up on that if you don't mind :)
>
> I am more than happy contribute my time and effort to such an indexing
> effort, I think something of that nature would help enormously to improve
> the general usability of what I consider to be by far the best music editor
> available.

Hi

I fully agree with your point of view. In the last years I managed to
understand how the manuals are split up and I can use them now to find
help. But it took me years to understand that. In many cases it is still
not obvious if where answers can be found.

In my opinion, GUIs have one big advantage: You can rightclick an object
and find all available settings. Frescobaldi does a good job here with
its autocomplete function, but there is lots of room for improvements
how to make use of the good documentation of LilyPond.

That is why I tried an alternative approach with an image as index:
http://joramberger.de/files/lilypond_visualindex.pdf

The argument that we have several blind users does not count, because no
one is talking about removing classical indexes.

For the next half a year, I won’t have time to contribute,
unfortunately. But after that, I hope to do so. Probably not as part of
the LP documentation but on a private website, because I don’t want to
waste my time in endless discussions. The basic idea is to give an
overview of features in a score and make it a clickable website with
additional information and links to the docs on each object.

Cheers,
Joram

PS: For handmade adjustments outside LP I would recomment svg (Inkscape)
as others did already. But be aware, that thes changes have to be
re-applied once you make changes in LP.