Re: lilypond presentation

From: Karl Hammar
Subject: Re: lilypond presentation
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 23:39:33 +0200 (CEST)

Janek:
> 2013/6/24 Karl Hammar <address@hidden>
> >
> > Janek:
> > >
> > > What kind of presentation are you looking for?  I mean, in-depth stuff
> > > showing how lilypond works inside or something like "look, Finale
> > > produces ugly notation and LilyPond is better!"?
> >
> > Something so that people sees its value and and starts asking
> > questions.
>
> Excellent!  Here are some resources:

> - slideshow i used for a 5-min "flash talk" about music engraving.
> It's in Polish, but i think images will give you some inspiration:
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/dpz7ius7pk1nqx5/2013.04%20-%20sk%C5%82ad%20nut%20%28flaszki%208.1%29.pdf

Page 5-19 of the above looks bad, are you using bitmaps or what?

> - some "lilypond vs something else" comparisons, intended to show that
> typesetting really matters, and that LilyPond fares well here:
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/mgzcnr7bhmnl72x/engraving%20comparisons.zip
> (in polish again, but if you like them, i'll do a quick-and-dirty
> translation)

 Eja Finale - wyci?ta 3cia strona.pdf

shows a lot of flaws with finale, but there are nothing to compare
with.

 Eja Mater porównanie.pdf

looks useful but a little short.

I will probably not have time to show comparisions.

> - tell them about crowd-engraving
> (https://lilypondblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/04/crowd-engraving-whats-that-part-1/),
> and show them the score displayed there.  It was created by people
> with almost 0 experience in music engraving!  (of course, i had to
> write a skeleton structure first, but that was a one-time job - If
> you're interested, i can send you that skeleton).
> - show them the attached score.  It contains very few overrides, and
> they are very subtle anyway - even the 100% default output looks
> excellent.

Hmm, very good point, you don't need x number of finale/sibelius/...
to make a bigger project feasable.

Regards,
/Karl Hammar

Aspö Data