Re: Replacement suggestions for Century Schoolbook?

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: Replacement suggestions for Century Schoolbook?
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 11:51:33 +0200

2013/6/25 Joshua Krämer <address@hidden>:
> On Thu, 06 Jun 2013 00:11:41 +0200, Janek Warchoł wrote:
>
>>> This typeface style is known as "Scotch".  A high-quality, free Scotch
>>> type-family is "Old Standard". [...]
>>
>> [...] Unfortunately, in my opinion it's too thin, so it would need to
>> be modified - this would be a nice project, but i don't think we have
>> money to spare...
>
> Another possibility is to adjust Computer Modern.  This is comparatively
> easy because it's a parameterized metafont.  I've modified it before by
> altering its parameters, you can see the result here (17 point version):
>
> Original http://i30.tinypic.com/2u7yg6f.png
> Modified http://i28.tinypic.com/vecc4x.png

This makes me wish that all fonts were made using Metafont...
As for Computer Modern, i don't quite like its style.  Anyway, i'm
doing some interesting font tests in my spare time; be sure to check
lilypond blog from time to time as the results will be published there
(but i have no idea when that will happen).

best,
Janek