Attaching fermata to whole rest gives programming error

From: Frederick Bartlett
Subject: Attaching fermata to whole rest gives programming error
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 15:32:45 -0400

All,

I'm using 2.16.1 on Linux, writing in 3/4, and trying to attach a fermata to a whole rest. That is, r4\fermata is no problem, but R1 * 3/4\fermata generates the following message on compilation:

programming error: Object is not a markup.
continuing, cross fingers
This object should be a markup: ()

Any idea what's happening here?

Somewhat relatedly, is there any way to center a fermata over a tremolo? That is, something like

\repeat tremolo 12 { c32 c'}\fermata

which currently will not compile. I've certainly seen music which has this feature, so I think it's worth handling ...

Thanks!
FredĀ