8 marking on piano piece

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: 8 marking on piano piece
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 12:54:48 +0100

I'm setting the Vagabond so that I can practice singing it, and I'm confused by a marking on the piano piece - see the attached image. It looks like an ottava marking, but doesn't make much sense as that if you follow the 3rd and 4th bars of the image supplied. I've also listened to recordings and they definitely do not drop by an octave here. I'm also rather confused as to how this would be played - the first bar in the image appears to require a span of 2 octaves....

Any advice welcome.

--
Phil Holmes