Re: 8 marking on piano piece

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: 8 marking on piano piece
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 07:16:36 -0500

Hi Phil,

On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 6:54 AM, Phil Holmes <address@hidden> wrote:
I'm setting the Vagabond so that I can practice singing it, and I'm confused by a marking on the piano piece - see the attached image.  It looks like an ottava marking, but doesn't make much sense as that if you follow the 3rd and 4th bars of the image supplied.  I've also listened to recordings and they definitely do not drop by an octave here.

The "8" here means that the pianist should add the note an octave below.  It's a shorthand or space saver.

I'm also rather confused as to how this would be played - the first bar in the image appears to require a span of 2 octaves....

Here the pianist would take the upstemmed notes in the bottom staff with the right hand.

Any advice welcome.
--
Phil Holmes