Re: Running Lilypond from Fraise

From: David Rogers
Subject: Re: Running Lilypond from Fraise
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 13:02:18 -0700

Philippe de Rochambeau <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello,
>
> could someone please explain how to run Lilypond from Fraise?

I haven't used Fraise. I did use Smultron a little bit a long time ago.

There may be an elegant way, eliminating the use of the terminal
emulator and making steps 2 through 4 of my description obsolete; there
is definitely a non-elegant way that will always work with any text
editor, and here it is:

1. Type your Lilypond file in Fraise, or any text editor that saves as
   plain text. Make sure it is saved with .ly at the end of the name,
   such as MyNewPiece.ly - also make sure that there are no spaces in
   the name of your piece, no spaces in the name of the folder it's in,
   and no spaces in any of the names of any of the folders that contain
   that folder. If you want the visual effect of spaces, you can always
   use underscore characters like My_New_Piece.ly .

2. Open Terminal (it's in the Utilities folder, inside of
   Applications). In your terminal window, type the following and press
   Enter afterwards:

cd ~/Documents/LilypondScores

(that is, type "cd", then a space, and then the name of whatever folder
you have put your piece in - your pieces can go anywhere you like, as
long as there are no spaces in any folder names and as long as you can
remember what folder they're in. The special character "~" is used in
terminal commands as an abbreviation for "My own home folder", and
folders always have a slash between their names.)

3. Just to make sure you're in the right folder, type the following and
   press Enter afterwards:

ls

(This will list everything in the folder - all that matters is that the
name of your piece is one of the things in the list)

4. Type the following (using the real name of your piece, obviously) and
   press Enter afterwards:

lilypond MyNewPiece.ly

(This command will cause the terminal to display Lilypond's messages,
along with any errors that occur. If errors occur, it's either because
Lilypond isn't installed correctly or because there was a typing mistake
in your piece.)

5. Assuming it worked, there will now be MyNewPiece.pdf in the same
   folder with MyNewPiece.ly. Go and open that to see the results.

The elegant method of using Fraise would be to eliminate my steps 2
through 4, by adding a Lilypond command into Fraise itself so that you
don't need to use Terminal.