Re: Re:8 marking on piano piece

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Re:8 marking on piano piece
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2013 12:28:51 +0100

I recall being told this/reading it a college - where you have an original of the piece and sing from it, you're permitted to reproduce it solely for the purpose of accompanying that performance - this may be only for educational purposes.  The copy is destroyed afterwards.  I'd say that keeping a source on my computer for personal use and only reproducing it for accompaniment would fall under the same permission.  At present, the best reference I can find is:

Instruction or examination

Copying parts of a literary, dramatic, musical or artistic work or a sound recording, film or broadcast for the purpose of instruction or examination is allowed under the following conditions:

  • The copying is done by the student or the person giving instruction.
  • The copying is not done via a reprographic process.
  • The source of the material is acknowledged.
  • The instruction is for a non-commercial purpose.

--
Phil Holmes