Re: Unkown LilyPond community.

From: Martin Tarenskeen
Subject: Re: Unkown LilyPond community.
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 22:08:43 +0200 (CEST)

In any case, a trademark does not give absolute monopoly over the use of the
word, only in application the specific field concerned (hence Apple the
computer company, and Apple the record label). This other site has nothing
whatsoever to do with music notation, and it would be hard to argue that
there's any real likelihood of confusion among users (see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_moron_in_a_hurry).

For example if I type "LilyPond" in Google I am getting links to our LilyPond site(s), but also:

www.lilypond.nl
www.lilypond.co.za
lilypond.media.mit.edu
www.lilypondusa.com www.lilypond.net.au
www.zappos.com/lilypond

to name just a few. They all have nothing to do with music or score engraving :-) All they have in common is the use of the name "LilyPond" (with or without uppercase L and P)

not really a problem, is it?

--

MT