Re: Feta font embedded in PDFs

From: Vaughan McAlley
Subject: Re: Feta font embedded in PDFs
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2013 18:33:43 +1000

On 3 July 2013 18:18, Andrew Bernard <address@hidden> wrote:
> Greetings Vaughan,
>
> From my knowledge of the PDF format, you can specify whether fonts get
> embedded, entire or the required subset, or whether they can be substituted.
> But if the Feta font is embedded by lilypond, as it must be, the it can't
> suddenly get unembedded halfway. So there must be an issue with the printing
> end. [I suspect you are in Australia, and this is Officeworks?]
>
> I have a deep IT background in software development and architecture. While
> I have not fiddled with PDF creation in code, I am pretty sure that apart
> from ensuring that embedding is turned on when creating that there is
> nothing able to be done to make the PDF more 'robust'. If I get some time I
> will have a bit of a look into this for you.
>
> In the meantime, can you print it out at home etc to see if the problem
> arises?
>
> This is of interest to me because if it is Officeworks then I am going to
> hit the same issue sooner or later.
>
> Andrew
> Melbourne., Australia
>

> On 3/07/13 6:04 PM, Vaughan McAlley wrote:
>>
>> At my local office supplies / self-serve printing chain I brought my
>> score in on a USB stick. Being in a hurry I skipped the preview option
>> (stupid I know), then 68 pages into my 118 page score I turned a page
>> over to find the printer had substituted Feta (and every other font)
>> with Helvetica.
>>
>> I’m assuming it’s a problem with their software (which appears to be
>> running on a 1MHz 6502 chip or similar, which is why I skipped
>> preview). Otherwise, are there any options or techniques for making
>> PDFs more ‘robust’, font-wise?
>>
>> Vaughan

You are correct, it is indeed Officeworks. I’ve printed other scores
there, produced by both Lilypond and Finale, without incident. The
same PDF displays and prints perfectly at home. Maybe their software
has had a faulty update. At any rate, check with the Preview option
before you print. If it’s a more generalized problem it should be
fixed reasonably quickly.

Cheers,
Vaughan