Synchronize music of different length

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Synchronize music of different length
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2013 16:51:55 +0200

Hi all,

what would be an elegant way to synchronize a passage of music that is of different length in two staves?

I need to make an example where the composer made a second version that compressed two bars into one. At the same time he modified the melody around common anchor notes I would like to typeset these measures in two staves so that the corresponding notes are aligned, ignoring the metric situation.

One would be:
(\time 4/4)

\relative e'' {
    e2. e4 | g2. cis,4 |