Re: Synchronize music of different length

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Synchronize music of different length
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2013 17:15:21 +0200

Hi Richard,

thanks for your suggestions.
I was just thinking about how to deal with the different timings (I would have found that too, but later) when your second suggestion came in.

This works for the given situation.
But as you say I will have situations where it won't be sufficient because they don't have that simple 2:1 relation but rather a irrational one.
I often come across examples where one line is developed from another one, either in the development of the music or in different versions of a composition. When trying to visualize the relationship between them I can either typeset the versions normally and place diagonal lines between the systems, or adjust the spacing accordingly as in the current example. This can of course be quite irregular, but I think it would do a good job as an illustration.

Maybe I can experiment with \scaleDurations and use them differently for both parts.
But then I'd probably have to deal with time signatures and barlines some more.

But I'll consider this when needed ...

Thanks again
Urs