Re: One beam, two voices?

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: One beam, two voices?
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2013 17:02:59 +0200

Am 08.07.2013 15:39, schrieb John Kliewe:
Thanks very much Urs -- the tip about moving the \override outside of the \times did the trick.

The reason I duplicated the entire phrase in each voice is that I want to see the second group of 16ths in a single-beam group.  By limiting the dual-voice treatment only to the small tuple that really requires it, I am not able to join the beams the way it appears in the original Paderewski edition that I am typesetting.   My example has the beams I want, but the slur is much too high.  Your suggestion corrects that high slur, but doesn't join the beam the way I want.
Obviously I didn't look close enough. I was so focused on the high slur that I didn't realize the difference in beaming :-[

Is there a way to accomplish both?  I know that both versions are technically correct, but I would like to mimic the original if possible.
Yes, there is.
Your problem is that the b es, ais triplet isn't in the same voice context as the preceding 16th notes, therefore they can't share the beam (as they couldn't share a slur either for example).
So what you need to do is get these notes in the same voice .

There are two steps involved:
1) Change the polyphonic construct:
<<
  { [music one] }
  \\
  { [music two] }

creates two new Voice contexts whereas

<<
  { [music one] }
  \new Voice {
    [music two]
  }

only creates a new Voice context for 'music two' while 'music one' seamlessly continues the Voice context that has been in effect before (and afterwards.
So what you want is to have the triplets that you want to beam in the place of 'music one'. So:

2) Switch the expressions:

Try replacing the triplet section with

  <<
    {
      \voiceTwo
      \times 2/3 {
        {
          b16 eis, ais
    \new Voice
    {
      \once \override TupletNumber #'stencil = ##f
      \times 2/3 {
        b16^\accent[ s ais]

and it should work.
Notice the \voiceTwo which is necessary now to switch the stems downward, and the circumflex to place the accent above the voice.

HTH
Urs

--John K