Re: Building blocks request for review

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Building blocks request for review
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2013 23:33:29 +0200

Am 11.07.2013 23:19, schrieb Thomas Morley:
2013/7/11 Urs Liska <address@hidden>:
Hi,

I've made quite some progress in generating a complete set of rhythmical
building blocks. I think it will make for a pair of post on our blog that
_really_ show that Lily is infinitely superior to any wysiwyg tool at least
in this respect.

However, I still need some advice in achieving what I want (which isn't a
complete copy of Aldridge's model but should be a basic proof-of-concept).

Here you can download the current state of affairs:
http://lilypondblog.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/building-blocks-a4.pdf

One thing that is immediately visible is that the DrumStaff #'line-count of
1 ceased to work (suddenly, I don't know why). All the other settings from
that \layout \context are still in effect.

The other issue which isn't that apparent is the beaming.
Starting with page 2 I notice bars where the beaming subdivision doesn't
work as it should. I assume it has to do with beatstructure etc. but I don't
see how I can deal with that so it works automatically (with all these
different time signatures).

Attached you'll find the sources used for creating the linked pdf file. The
starting point is the to-be-compiled .ly file.

Looking forward to any comments
Urs
Hi Urs,

just started to look into it.
Thanks so far.
Some obvious points (I'll post them directly, before I forget about them)

Please use 2.16-syntax, if you declare \version "2.16.2" in
building-blocks-start.ly
or change the version.
Hm, actually I thought about that.
I never used 2.16 so it would mean an artificial effort to 'backport' to that version. But I always thought that for writing tutorials or similar documents it would be advisable to use stable versions. What would you think? Of course using the versions I'm used to is much more practical ...

Don't use \set in \layout { \context { ... } }
I've to admit that I'm still (!) quite unsure about all this ...

Move \numericTimeSignature into \layout { \context { \DrumStaff ... } }
dito

Investigating futher ...
Looking forward to it :-)

Urs