Re: pedal markings in dynamic context

From: Eluze
Subject: Re: pedal markings in dynamic context
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 04:52:04 -0700 (PDT)

Simon Bailey-5 wrote
> hi,
>
> i have a question regarding the spacing of dynamic contexts. given the
> following (contrived for simplicity) snippet:
>
> this is a very simplified example, but it highlights the problem. is there
> any way to make the pedal markings in bar 1-2 and on beat 3 of bar 3
> closer to the staff? i have attached a screen shot of a real world example
> -- bar 3 is particularly bad in this case, and i'd prefer to have the
> pedal markings closer to the staff.
>
> i know i could twiddle the Y-offset for the given bar, but i have a gut
> feeling that it might be possible to move the whole dynamic line closer to
> the staff and let the pedal markings on the lowest notes drop below the
> "normal" line.
>
> any ideas?

the intention of using a dynamics context is exactly to keep the marks on
one horizontal line but.

but you can try to bring the Dynamics nearer to the staff and \tweak or
\override the problematic SustainPedal - I'm not sure this could cause
problems in scores with more than one line, though.

\new Dynamics \with {\override
VerticalAxisGroup.nonstaff-relatedstaff-spacing.padding = #-5 }

Eluze