Re: Redistributing Emmentaler .otf files

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Redistributing Emmentaler .otf files
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 13:40:40 +0200

Am 21.10.2012 18:10, schrieb David Kastrup:
Janek WarchoĊ‚ <address@hidden> writes:

On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 12:04 PM, Urs Liska <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi list,

I want to redistribute the Emmentaler .otf files as part of a GPLed LaTeX
package.
I recall reading that Emmentaler is GPLed with the font exception (meaning
that works created using the fonts aren't implicitely covered by the GPL),
but I don't seem to be able to find a copy of the license in the LilyPond
distribution.
Hmm.  you may want to look at
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2012-10/msg00607.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2012-08/msg00554.html

What would you think:

Do I have to include licensing information for Emmentaler in the package?
Is it enough if the package as a whole is licensed by GPL?
Or is the package GPL basically enough but I have to mention the .otf files
explicitely?
my gut feeling is that if you include metafont sources (just in case),
and the package is GPLed, it should be fine.
The GPL states

       The "Corresponding Source" for a work in object code form means all
     the source code needed to generate, install, and (for an executable
     work) run the object code and to modify the work, including scripts to
     control those activities.

"_including_ scripts to control those activities."  For reusing fonts,
this is not really the most convenient form of licensing when used
exclusively.

Hi,

after quite some time this question is on my table again, and I have to (and can) be somewhat more concrete about it.

a)
I want to redistribute the Emmentaler .otf fonts in a LaTeX package that will be licensed under the LPPL (http://www.latex-project.org/lppl.txt)

b)
I _think_ the Emmentaler fonts are licensed under the OpenFontLicense.
At least that's what I read from the threads Janek reference, and in LilyPond's Git repository is a LICENSE.OFL file which strongly indicates this. But in the distributed LilyPond Installation I don't find a reference to any license which applies to Emmentaler fonts (Is this a bug?).

The OFL allows redistribution of the fonts without source code but strongly suggests to enclose a FONTLOG file. I would gladly supply this but unfortunately don't find the relevant information (esp. authors) in the LilyPond installation.

So: are my assumptions right? And wouldn't it be necessary to add these informations to the LilyPond installation?

Urs