Re: Questions about Automatic Part Combine and Scheme

From: Carl Peterson
Subject: Re: Questions about Automatic Part Combine and Scheme
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 19:15:47 -0400

On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 1:20 PM, Carl Peterson <address@hidden> wrote:
I've started using the automatic part combiner as part of my SATB hymnal/psalter work. It simplifies my life tremendously, and the default works well except for two situations:

1) How do I get the function to look at the interval and separate the voices if the interval is less than a third? Is there a way to flip the section of code that separates the voices if the interval is too large and make it separate if the interval is too small?

2) How do I/can I reference a copy of the default part-combiner file (with my customizations) to override the default part combiner?

I was able to answer my first question. I flipped a comparison operator further down the code and changed the 8 to a 2. The question remains, though, as to how I would go about redefining these functions without resorting to editing the default functions (which would break the moment I upgraded to a new version).

A side question is a matter of style. The hymnal I'm using as a style reference has all stems pointing away from the middle of the system (Except when two stems are being used), instead of automatically directing the stems (so treble clef stems point up, bass clef stems point down). will the default \stemUp command work in this instance or is there something else I need to do to make that functionality work?

Thanks,

Carl