Re: Writing "Mouvt" abbreviation of "Mouvement"

From: Nick Payne
Subject: Re: Writing "Mouvt" abbreviation of "Mouvement"
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2013 12:19:30 +1000

On 28/07/13 11:47, MarcM wrote:
thanks for the explanation.

 > Why wouldn't it?  Separate expressions in a \line (which is what a
 > top-level markup is implicitly wrapped in) are separated by word space.
 > That's totally normal.  If you want to join some elements, use \concat,
 > like with ...

You explanation and example were helpful. I suggest to add them to
this page:
http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.17/Documentation/notation/formatting-text

% this
  \markup { \huge \line { fee fie foe fum } }
% or that will separate the expressions with _normal_ size spaces
  \markup { \huge  { fee fie foe fum } }
% or
\markup { \huge fee\huge fie\huge foe\huge fum }
% whereas this will use _huge_ spaces between words.
\markup { \huge "fee fie foe fum" }

That suggestion doesn't make sense to me. Those four markup commands will all produce identical markup with identical spacing.

The use of \concat to eliminate spaces that would otherwise be inserted is covered in http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.17/Documentation/notation/formatting-text#selecting-font-and-font-size - though to me it would make more sense to have it in the section dealing with text alignment.