Re: aleatoric / frame engraver revisited

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: aleatoric / frame engraver revisited
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 09:36:34 -0500

On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 3:29 PM, David Nalesnik <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

I recently replied to an old thread with an updated version of an engraver for frames.  Only, the message doesn't show up in the archived thread here: http://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg70166.html  I'm not sure why this has happened.

The message along with .png can be viewed here, but the .ly file appears as binary data.

I will attach the .ly file here so it will be accessible in the archives.

Sorry for any inconvenience!

--David

Here's the latest version.  Note that it's written to work with the current development version (2.17.22).  There are some comments in the file indicating how to convert it to work with earlier versions (including 2.17.21).  Adapting it to 2.16 might be trickier.

The problem with vertical spacing I noted in the message linked to above is resolved.  (Turns out it actually was an issue of needing a function for pure height.)

There is still the issue with the frame being sized to contain dynamics but then pushing them aside.  This happens because the frame is an inside-staff object, while dynamics are outside-staff objects.  I'm guessing that LilyPond doesn't allow for resolution of this predicament.  (Hopefully, I'm wrong.)  One workaround is shown in the example.

There is now better horizontal spacing, so this is usable with barlines.

The arrow on the extender line can be removed, and the bracket can be drawn beneath the staff.  Don't know why you'd want to, but there it is.

If you'd like text above the extender line, just add it to a spacer.

Once again, the example shows some of the modifications you can make.

Please let me know if you run into problems with this, or have suggestions.  Please note that this is an attempt to create serviceable garden-variety frame notation, not to support every idiosyncratic notation you might see.

Hope this is helpful!

--David