Re: Henle piano template

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Henle piano template
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 20:30:32 +0200

Hi  Kieren,

unfortunately I don't understand everything completely:

Am 29.07.2013 16:07, schrieb Kieren MacMillan:
Hi Urs,

No, these don't, but I think that fingerings in itself _do_ belong in there,
and if the original ones from Henle are copyrighted ...
This is my vision.

1. Each of the following hierarchically inherits from (i.e., includes) the one
above:

     Lilypond.ily
     Score.ily
     PianoStaff.ily
     Lilypond_piano_solo.ily
     Lilypond_piano_solo_letter.ily, Lilypond_piano_solo_A4.ily,
Lilypond_piano_solo_letter_landscape.ily, …

This would be the point at which the default Lilypond user would \include a "house
style" (e.g., Lilypond_piano_solo_letter.ily) to engrave their basic piano solo
parts.

LGTM.
Then we'd have

     Henle_piano_concert.ily

OK. Had to remind myself that 'concert' is a paper format...
or some such name. This would be in place of Lilypond_piano_solo_letter.ily (etc.), and
would be included if you wanted that "Henle Beethoven urtext" look. Finally, we
have

     Beethoven_Op10No3_manuscript.ily
     Henle_Beethoven_Op10No3_Winter19751976_editorials.ily

What exactly do you mean by 'manuscript' and 'editorials'?
Manuscript in the sense of 'bare musical text' or literally Beethoven's
manuscript? Or style tweaks relevant to that concrete score?
And editorials: editorial markings or styles for that score?
and you'd have a file

     Henle_Beethoven_Op10No3_Winter19751976.ly
         \include Henle_piano_concert.ily
         \include Beethoven_Op10No3_manuscript.ily
         \include Henle_Beethoven_Op10No3_Winter19751976_editorials.ily

Yes?

So fingerings (which are NOT in the manuscript, as far as I know) would be
included in Henle_Beethoven_Op10No3_Winter19751976_editorials.ily only, not the
main stylesheet (Henle_piano_concert.ily).

Maybe I'm completely wrong, but _if_ I see it right, I'd strongly oppose.
If you imagine a workflow where you separate information from the
manuscript from later (editorial) additions that will be appropriate in
many cases. But I'm strongly against mixing engraving and editing in
your project.
What you are proposing is a set of style sheets affecting the engraving,
and this should in no way impose any way to organize the editing process.
But maybe I'm seeing this completely wrong.
Could you please say something more specific about how you intend these
files? Maybe some sample entries?
Of course, in order to make the main stylesheet as good as possible, we need to
have fingerings in there (via the \include structure I've outlined above), so
that we can tweak everything accordingly. To avoid the copyright problem, I
would do this (which, ultimately, is a superior structure anyway):

     Henle_Beethoven_Op10No3_Winter19751976.ly
         \include Henle_piano_concert.ily
         \include Beethoven_Op10No3_manuscript.ily
         \include Henle_Beethoven_Op10No3_Kieren_editorials.ily

Right?

Well, depends on your answers to my previous questions ;-)

Best
Urs

Thanks,
Kieren.