anyone got lilypond 2.16.2 to work on Windows Vista?

From: Robert
Subject: anyone got lilypond 2.16.2 to work on Windows Vista?
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2013 17:05:55 +0000 (UTC)

I have Windows Vista Version    6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002.

I installed Lilypond 2.16.2 and I have since been unable to get Lilypond to
run successfully.  Whenever I start Lilypond, the executable appears to start
up, but does not apparently make any progress.  It just sits there after
having done one single write I/O request.  It appears to be doing nothing, but
if I leave it running, the system, including the GUI freezes, and the only way
to get the system back is to kill all power to the system.  Is there some
incompatibility that wasn't apparent back in the 2.12.* days?

I am using a HP Presario F700 with 1 GB of installed memory.
Processor       AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-55, 1800 Mhz, 2
Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)

What am I doing wrong this time?