Re: feature request: abs-fontsize available for all text grobs

From: Jan-Peter Voigt
Subject: Re: feature request: abs-fontsize available for all text grobs
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2013 09:23:29 +0200

Am 01.08.2013 15:40, schrieb David Kastrup:
Jan-Peter Voigt <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Kieren,

I did some checks on the absolute font-sizes:
- If you do a stencil-add on a stencil created via
grob-interpret-markup and interpret-markup inside a normal markup,
they exactly match-
- If you do a pixel by pixel compare (I did in gimp) a Lyric markup
with an abs-font-size with different global-staff-sizes, they also
match ...
... but you have to move the letter. IMO this is reasonable, because
different staff-sizes mean different scaling of anything else but
these absolute scaled fonts.
Now if you import a simple PDF with a single 'X' 42pt into
Libre/OpenOffice, it will show the found font-sizes of the
text-objects.
If you create the PDF with LibreOffice Century Schoolbook L 42pt and
reimport that PDF, you will have exactly 42pt.
If you create PDF files with an absolute-font-size of 42pt, it will
result in 41,9pt in the reimported file - regardless of the
global-staff-size.
AFAICS the font-size is absolute, but there seems to be a calculation
inaccuracy of 0.1pt.
Does the patch in
<URL:http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=3483> help?

a quick test, after building lilypond including this patch still shows 41,9pt. So there still seems to be an inaccuracy - maybe its a float very near 42 that is rounded/truncated/whatever to a tenth pt number while importing the PDF. So as long there is no problem for the printer and the result on paper has the right size, I'd call this 'ugly' but not a top-list-issue.

Jan-Peter