Re: Maybe bug? Lyrics on a tied note at end of system

From: James Harkins
Subject: Re: Maybe bug? Lyrics on a tied note at end of system
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2013 11:42:05 -0400

On Aug 5, 2013 11:07 AM, "Carl Peterson" <address@hidden> wrote:
> Seeing a column of flush-left syllables in the middle of a line of lyrics when there are 3-5 verses just looks *bad*, even if it is technically correct.

:-D

Anyway, I'll take the vocalists' word for it. I still believe any professional engraver (who is not a perfect lunatic) would not allow a wide syllable at the end of a system to interfere with the note spacing to such a ghastly degree, so I've taken the approach of forcing a system break before affected bars. It all looks a lot better. And actually, now I'm inclined to think that pushing the final note to the right would just make the spacing look weird earlier in the bar...

So in the end, the optimal solution was to avoid the issue rather than fighting it: nothing in my lead sheet is non-standard for singers, and there is not a single ugly end-of-line now.

Thanks for the clarification, all, and helping me to see a solution that was better than my first thought.

hjh