Re: anyone got lilypond 2.16.2 to work on Windows Vista?

From: Robert Honore
Subject: Re: anyone got lilypond 2.16.2 to work on Windows Vista?
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2013 19:03:54 -0400

On 04/08/2013 13:41, Phil Holmes wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Honore"
<address@hidden>

OK - this is what I get part way through my lilypond verbose output:

Initializing FontConfig...
Adding font directory: C:/Program Files
(x86)/LilyPondV2.16.2/usr/share/lilypond/current/fonts/otf
Building font database...

Processing `craptastic-1.ly'
Parsing...

And it then completes successfully.

Could you repeat telling the sequence of events that got you to this
situation?  I think you had 2.12.3 working OK, but then tried to upgrade
to 2.16.2 and have never been able to get it to work since?  Could you
have made any other changes?   (Added fonts, etc.)?

If it was my machine, I think  I'd a) undelete all versions of LilyPond,
b) get rid of the lilypond entry you have in path, c) delete any
lilypond directories in C:/Program Files/ and then try a fresh install,
and try a run from the command line with the current working directory
as /LilyDir/usr/bin.

I'm also slightly suspicious of where Lily is installed.  By default, a
64 bit install should place it with the 32 bit files in C:/Program Files
(x86)/

Mine never seems to make it to the line that says "Processing 'craptastic-1.ly'". Not even if I let it run for more than an hour.

> Could you repeat telling the sequence of events that got you to this
> situation?

I started with a working instance of LilyPond 2.12.3 installed. I decided to install the latest version of LilyPond, which was 2.16.2, since I hadn't updated my LilyPond for some years.

I did make the error initially, of trying to install directly over the existing installation of LilyPond, but the installer gave me the message that I should uninstall the existing LilyPond prior to installing the new version. I aborted the installation and uninstalled the old one. The installation of 2.16.2 then appeared to proceed without incident. Since then, I have not been able to get LilyPond (any version) to work on my machine.

I did not make any other changes, like adding fonts. I did attempt to install Frescobaldi, the installation of which seemed to proceed without problem, and which appears to have produced a working (modulo LilyPond) Frescobaldi. Since then, thinking I might not have a coherent system configuration, I restored a system restore point from 2013-Jul-25, a date preceding any of my activity involving LilyPond 2.16.2. I have still not been able to get a working LilyPond since.

> If it was my machine, I think  I'd a) undelete all versions of LilyPond,
> b) get rid of the lilypond entry you have in path, c) delete any
> lilypond directories in C:/Program Files/ and then try a fresh install...

When I noticed that uninstalling LilyPond still leaves c:\Program Files\lilypond in place, I deleted that directory prior to attempting a new installation of LilyPond. Also, another user informed me that keeping the old font directory in c:\users\robert around could also be a problem, so I delete it (I only found one, though) too.

I shall try what you suggest about the path environment variables and see if it helps.

What you say about 64-bit probably does not apply to my machine, as the operating system reports that it is a 32-bit system, even though the processor is indeed a 64-bit AMD processor. Should I double check?

Yours sincerely,
Robert Honoré.