Re: Redefining \parenthesisOpenSymbol

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Redefining \parenthesisOpenSymbol
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2013 10:45:13 +0200

Vaughan McAlley <address@hidden> writes:

> Most scores I do (renaissance choral editions) have no slurs and
> hundreds of \melisma and \melismaEnds. My source code would look a lot
> nicer if I could redefine ( and ) to mean \melisma and \melismaEnd.
> What is wrong with this code?
>
> \version "2.16.1"
>
> slurStart = #(make-span-event 'SlurEvent START)
> slurEnd = #(make-span-event 'SlurEvent STOP)
> parenthesisOpenSymbol = \melisma
> parenthesisCloseSymbol = \melismaEnd
>
> \score {
>   <<
>     \new Staff {
>       \new Voice = "musicNotes" {
>         \relative c' {
>           c8 \slurStart d e f \slurEnd % slurred
>           g ( a b c ) % no slur, but with melisma
>           c,1
>         }
>       }
>     }
>     \new Lyrics \lyricsto "musicNotes" {
>       Li -- ly -- pond.
>     }
>   >>
> }

melisma and melismaEnd are not permitted as articulations.  After issue
3487 has passed
<URL:http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=3487>, you'll be
able to write

\version "2.17.24"

slurStart = #(make-span-event 'SlurEvent START)
slurEnd = #(make-span-event 'SlurEvent STOP)
"(" = \melisma
")" = \melismaEnd

\score {
  <<
    \new Staff {
      \new Voice = "musicNotes" {
        \relative c' {
          c8 \slurStart d e f \slurEnd % slurred
          g ( a b c ) % no slur, but with melisma
          c,1
    \new Lyrics \lyricsto "musicNotes" {
      Li -- ly -- pond.

and have it worked as expected since one point of that issue is not to
make assumptions about what you assign to the parens: it can be music,
events, music functions...  If you are really feeling nasty, it can be a
number.

But in LilyPond's current state, it can only be an articulation.

--
David Kastrup