Re: Steinberg's progress report on new notation software

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Steinberg's progress report on new notation software
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2013 11:05:34 +0200

Am 08.08.2013 10:35, schrieb SoundsFromSound:
I'm surprised that no one else in those comments responded to any of the
LilyPond mentions.
As a former SCORE user, personally I can't possibly imagine /ever /going
back now that I've tried LilyPond. There truly is just no comparison.
Period.
With LilyPond, you're only limited by your imagination.

When I go to pack away my scores for the definitive and long-term archive
master, I engrave everything in LilyPond.
I'm currently in the process of converting all my older scores now too, to
LilyPond.

To each their own, I guess.

We'll see what Daniel and the team has planned...
Of course there are some advantages of using programs like Sibelius for applications that aren't the key target of LilyPond (e.g. arranging and similar tasks where it is essential to have quick and flexible access to the material.

And I think that adding text input as an option (if it is thoroughly thought through) would be a great step forward for the resulting program. One could say of course that such an extension would make LilyPond's advantages smaller. But I think that's not the point. Of course LilyPond's goal should be to be as good as possible, but not necessarily compared to the competitors.

Urs

Urs Liska wrote