Re: Steinberg's progress report on new notation software

From: Jan-Peter Voigt
Subject: Re: Steinberg's progress report on new notation software
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2013 14:08:54 +0200

Am 08.08.2013 14:02, schrieb Richard Shann:
On Thu, 08 Aug 2013 12:06:36 +0200
Jan-Peter Voigt <address@hidden> wrote:

If I import some musicXML the virtual instruments sound
much better than the standard midi output of either timidity or
mac-quicktime.
Isn't this just a question of which soundfont is bundled? We distribute
Denemo with a samll (5Mb) soundfont not to waste people's bandwidth
when, if they care, they will use one of the many free sound fonts that
suit their needs. For my own use I have a 100 Mb single harpsichord stop
patched in, replacing the grand piano.

Richard Shann

Of course. There are some really nice soundfonts out there. And I can use aeolus with jack and timidity with kellner tuning to try, if something is sounding on a baroque organ.
And I can use one of the many free soft synths.
But I have to install it and prepare it to do this.
If I use one of the apps I mentioned, it all is sounding out of the box - nice, like most things we hear nowadays in the radio.
The question is, if users are willing to invest that work.

Cheers,
Jan-Peter Voigt