Re: Steinberg's progress report on new notation software

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Steinberg's progress report on new notation software
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2013 14:16:49 +0200

Am 08.08.2013 14:08, schrieb Jan-Peter Voigt:
Am 08.08.2013 14:02, schrieb Richard Shann:
On Thu, 08 Aug 2013 12:06:36 +0200
Jan-Peter Voigt <address@hidden> wrote:

If I import some musicXML the virtual instruments sound
much better than the standard midi output of either timidity or
mac-quicktime.
Isn't this just a question of which soundfont is bundled? We distribute
Denemo with a samll (5Mb) soundfont not to waste people's bandwidth
when, if they care, they will use one of the many free sound fonts that
suit their needs. For my own use I have a 100 Mb single harpsichord stop
patched in, replacing the grand piano.

Richard Shann

Of course. There are some really nice soundfonts out there. And I can use aeolus with jack and timidity with kellner tuning to try, if something is sounding on a baroque organ.
And I can use one of the many free soft synths.
But I have to install it and prepare it to do this.
If I use one of the apps I mentioned, it all is sounding out of the box - nice, like most things we hear nowadays in the radio.
The question is, if users are willing to invest that work.
And it's a question of download capacity. I think you still get these programs in boxes with DVDs in them, so it doesn't really matter if the thing is 22 MB or 2.2 GB in total. And if you're willing to spend hundreds of Euro for a software package you will also be willing to download it even if it takes hours. So, having this out-of-the-box ear-candy is of course nice, and probably an important selling point to many users. But I don't think it is within reach of our project to provide a similar experience.

What could be useful however (I don't know _anything_ about it) would be to add a chapter to the documentation talking about how to get high-quality audio output from/through LilyPond, referencing useful free soundfonts or whatever is useful to get this to work.

Urs

Cheers,
Jan-Peter Voigt