Re: Steinberg's progress report on new notation software

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Steinberg's progress report on new notation software
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2013 17:46:52 +0200

Am 08.08.2013 17:40, schrieb Brian Barker:
At 10:32 08/08/2013 -0500, Tim McNamara wrote:
I use LibreOffice because the default operation for text is fine. If I was writing out complex math equations, it'd be a different story.

Surely not: you'd use LibreOffice's Math facility!

Brian Barker

I think the questions are:
- Is the quality of output relevant for my application?
Word processors just _can't_ produce professionally typeset documents.
But if the documents aren't used for publication or presentation this may not be relevant.

- What is the maintainability and transparency of plain text files worth compared to the (seemingly) added complexity. If I produce 40 pages of documents each day I think there should be a sufficient amount of 'common behaviour' to make setting up a structured text-based, versioned work-flow a worthwile investment. But if these pages are quite different (or even randomly structured) and are more or less for one-day use it probably isn't worth it.

Urs