Re: SMuFL

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Re: SMuFL
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2013 18:52:25 +1000

Interesting valid points David.

But I was thinking that it although lilypond is open source, why can't I purchase _commercial_ music fonts to use with it, just as one does for print typesetting? I did not see the fonts as being tied to buying the engraving software, but a decoupled market. I can see music system vendors selling fonts just like Adobe does.

And why can't future Steinberg users incorporate lilypond fonts? After all, lilypond is open source and we are encouraging people to have it for free, work with it, extend it and nurture it. Or are the open source licensing restrictions that prevent lilypond components such as fonts being utilised by commercial software (I don't know)? And I think you can download Steinberg Bravura font presently for free, although I understand this is principally as a reference font implementation for SMuFL.

Andrew